Compared to my last project the data for this one was more straightforward to collect. I didn’t have to do any kind of calculations in Excel to find my numbers. They were all listed on my source websites. However, this project was much more technically challenging when it came to creating my maps. The map of Yellowstone, for example, was incredibly detailed and I tried to replicate that as best I could. This meant I spent the majority of my time working on this project creating my locator of the park. Overall, I’m extremely happy with how it turned out, but I didn’t need to invest ass much time as I did.
I feel like my biggest mistake on this project was not effectively planning out the series of maps on the right of my graphic. The US maps were much larger than I anticipated and forced me to cramp the entire feature. I was originally planning another map showing publicly held bison herds, but I didn’t have room for it. It is also the reason for the hard to read text on the bottom map as well.
Overall, I am very happy with how my chart package turned out, but wish I had been able to commit more time to it before the deadline. There were a couple errors I made that I believe would’ve been avoided due to the lack of time I had. First, the font for the chart explainers isn’t consistent among all my charts. Also, I didn’t label the y-axis as “Percentage of Transpeople” for the chart describing the discrimination people face leading to confusion as to what is being represented there.
The biggest challenge I faced when putting this char package together was difficulty of gathering information. Overall, there aren’t many statistics available about the murder of transpeople. Most everything I found were private organizations documenting individual murders for the past seven years. Besides that it was difficult it was also difficult to find murder rates based on demographics the most recent information I had was a CDC report from 2014 about violent crime numbers broken down by race and gender. I had to make approximations based on stats from the Census Bureaus QuickFacts page. Despite all these challenges I feel like I was able to show meaningful trends when it comes to violent crime ad transpeople.